Friday, June 1, 2012

Strawberry Picking!

When I was a little girl, my Mama (my mom's mom) used to load a carful of us up every summer and take us to the Strawberry Patch.  I remember eating my weight in strawberries and running through the patch, coming home with red stained clothing.  As much as Liam loves Strawberries, I wanted him to experience this as part of his childhood too.  When I asked Josh when the last time he picked strawberries was, and he said never, I felt like his life was missing something.  He said he didn't really like strawberries, and I told him it was because he's never picked them himself.  Strawberries you pick out of the field are SOOOO much sweeter than strawberries you buy at the grocery store.  They are smaller and juicier and sweeter and they don't have that giant white hollow core. He didn't believe me, but was willing to help me pick anyway. 


I found a patch about 5 minutes form our house that had an "all you can eat" policy.  We loaded up the kids one night after dinner and filled up a box (when we pulled up they tried to give us 4 boxes...I said we would only need one, since we had a 2 and a 4 year old with us).  We only stayed for about a half hour, but our box was full and so were our bellies- even Josh's, because he discovered that I was indeed right about fresh strawberries.  When we went home, we ate some more before putting the kids to bed.  Last night I used the last of our box to make freezer jam- yum!  Looks like we need to head back in the next week or so before the season is over!  




No comments: